Wednesday 20 January 2010

Bonnie's not too well


Bonnie is feeling a bit sorry for herself at the moment, I had to take her to the Vet (which she hates!) yesterday and again this morning.

It started Monday evening, I couldn't put my finger on it but she was very mopey and didn't seem to be walking properly. We thought she may have eaten something she shouldn't and was feeling a bit off colour. Yesterday morning Rob let her out into the garden before he went to work and said she was carrying her back leg. I got up later and prepared to take her for a walk but she wasn't interested. She was still lying on the bed at lunchtime so I carried her downstairs and put her outside, she was obviously in a lot of discomfort and wouldn't walk at all so I rang the Vet.

He checked her over and said the knee joint of her right hind leg was very loose and easily slipped in and out, he also said this wasn't unusual and was something she might always have had, he was more concerned about her back as the muscles were so tight she was hunching her back. He gave her an anti-inflammatory injection and asked me to take her back again this morning. In the meantime I had to try to keep her mobile so that her back didn't seize up (have you ever tried to keep a dog, even a small one, on the move when they are in pain and have no intention of moving??!!!).

In the end I put her lead on and took her for a short walk up and down the street, which she seemed to enjoy. When we got home I dried her feet but when I got to the back right paw she pulled it away and wouldn't let me look at it. She then began licking it and a little later Rob noticed it was bleeding but she still wouldn't let me touch it.

I took her back to the Vet this morning and he asked me to walk up and down the car park (as you do!) so that he could watch her walking. He then examined her (no not in the car park!), he was very pleased with the way her back muscles had relaxed, her knee joint was still loose but it didn't bother her when he manipulated it, he was however very surprised when I told him about the bleeding as he had examined her paw yesterday and she gave no indication that it was at all tender. Anyway, to cut a long story short (what do you mean it's too late?!) she is on a course of antibiotics to clear up any infection in her foot and I have to give him a ring in a week's time if I am still worried about her.

1 comment:

Momiji said...

do hope the infection clears up soon and you have Bonnie back to normal.